Take Me Out to the Ballgame!
I just love this picture from last spring! Why? Let me count the (11) reasons why…
- Baseball remains the most interesting, strategic, nonviolent game around.
- My son, somewhere in this pic, got to play (or at least sing) center field for the Minnesota Twins. How cool is that!
- He also got to be on the Mega Jumbotron. That’s almost as cool!
- In high school, “cool” rules, perhaps to a fault. Yet here we have a bunch of cool boy-cats singing their hearts out. Hey, singing IS cool!
- And so is the tradition of reverently singing the National Anthem before sporting events. It’s not the best song ever written, but still: God Bless America!
- But back to cool, it’s now cold January here. So we can begin to count the (1000s of) hours til Opening Day.
- Moments make memories. And for many, many of us, life has served few memories sweeter than winning the World Series (especially for we lucky ones who were there!).
- Get active! Get in shape! Go outside! To this day, countless millions of people play baseball and softball for exercise, fresh air, and camaraderie.
- Whereas other sports may use buzzers, horns, whistles, and even guns to commence, baseball kicks off with a blue man yelling, “Play ball!”
- This website advocates lengthy career breaks, sure. Yet teeny-tiny breaks like an evening at the ballyard prove the priceless value of all escapism.
- Someone once said about America, “Baseball is who we were; football is who we are.” Call me old-fashioned. But…take me out to the ballgame! Please!